RIP Thread - Raise a glass to those who have passed

That's right. You can put them right here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Raise a Glass

Post by Savage »

Well, I couldn't carry a pistol about with me, as I would too often be tempted to use it on other people.
like tears in rain

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

Savage wrote:Well, I couldn't carry a pistol about with me, as I would too often be tempted to use it on other people.
You are one cruel drunken wench, I like that.

BigDog49
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by BigDog49 »

Savage wrote:Well, I couldn't carry a pistol about with me, as I would too often be tempted to use it on other people.
Ummm. Yikes.

Steve
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Steve »

People who refuse to commit suicide should be killed.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

BigDog49 wrote:"My definition of being trapped revolves around the thought of being unable to take my own life any time I wanted or needed."
-Hunter S. Thompson
"This could never be a crime in any society which deems itself enlightened. "
-Jack Kevorkian

His cause was not only the right to die for the terminally ill, but for people like Mr. Thompson too. I can imagine a time when I might want to end my own life, and I should be able to. Only Religious institutions and governments take your rights to live and die out of your own hands.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

[quote="His cause was not only the right to die for the terminally ill, but for people like Mr. Thompson too. I can imagine a time when I might want to end my own life, and I should be able to. Only Religious institutions and governments take your rights to live and die out of your own hands.[/quote]

Agreed.

But anyone short of being paralyzed can do it alone or with just a little help from hospice; Jack and his van and his I.V. drip apparatus was a little over the line of twisted obsession. He was more into seeing people die than being the protector of individual rights than he or the media or the movies made out. I've had this aguement with loved ones and now with my online loved ones, and it's a small distinction but important as I don't want to hang on at the end running up bills for my family, either.

And don't get me started on his lawyers...

Question is, how would you end it all?

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Steve wrote:People who refuse to commit suicide should be killed.
Yeppers. And people who kill should be forced to commit suicide. (I'm talking to you, Death Row inmates. )
like tears in rain

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

Smatter Noguts wrote: Agreed.

But anyone short of being paralyzed can do it alone or with just a little help from hospice; Jack and his van and his I.V. drip apparatus was a little over the line of twisted obsession. He was more into seeing people die than being the protector of individual rights than he or the media or the movies made out. I've had this aguement with loved ones and now with my online loved ones, and it's a small distinction but important as I don't want to hang on at the end running up bills for my family, either.

And don't get me started on his lawyers...

Question is, how would you end it all?
I intend to hang on for dear life and suffer to the bitter, painful end, but I still agree with kevorkian's cause. Irony. I actually agree with you that there's a creepy edge to what he did. He did something very radical which is to question americas 'life=good, death=good' paradigm. I think he was the right person at the right time to raise the issue, and improved hospice care is due in part to his making such a scene.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

Savage wrote:
Yeppers. And people who kill should be forced to commit suicide. (I'm talking to you, Death Row inmates. )
That's inhumane, talking about that Death Row folks should be pitted against each other in deathmatches. That'd be some quality entertaiment

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

Bur wrote:
Savage wrote:
That's inhumane, talking about that Death Row folks should be pitted against each other in deathmatches. That'd be some quality entertaiment
I'd totally pay to watch that.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Bur wrote:That's inhumane, talking about that Death Row folks should be pitted against each other in deathmatches. That'd be some quality entertaiment
The Running Man.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Death row death matches? Oh no. I prefer my righteous deaths to be clean, quick, and over before the cocktail hour.
like tears in rain

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Drink one for Amy Winehouse.

Post by John Barleycorn »

She has fulfilled her destiny.

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Drink one for Amy Winehouse.

Post by Oggar »

She's dead?
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Drink one for Amy Winehouse.

Post by greygoose »

Oggar wrote:She's dead?
yep. that, along with the nfl talks, trumped the tragedy in norway on most news networks. guess she just wasn't built for drinkin'. had a great voice though.
why is my moral compass always pointed east? that's the direction of the nearest liquor store.